Monday, July 20, 2009

So Many Words . . . So Little Communication

Being a writer and communicator, I spend a lot of time reading and listening to other people. I especially enjoy learning from others as I read their work and listen to their oration.

One thing I've noticed that runs contrary to the desires of most people who find themselves in a conversational exchange is that the majority of people would rather talk than listen. It's such a simple rule of great conversation, yet it's so often disregarded . . . listen more than you talk.

I have made a living by being willing to listen far more than I speak. The dividends of being patient enough to be an interested listener are huge. Not only do you learn far more than you ever dreamed possible, but you also win the goodwill of the people to whom you were willing to listen.

If you ever take time to read through the Book of Proverbs (Bible) - you will be amazed at how often, and how pointed, the references to speech, to conversation and to attitude within conversational exhanges are.

Reading Proverbs would be a very good starting point for anyone who is seriously interested in becoming a great interpersonal communicator - take a few hours and have a look - I guarantee you won't be disappointed

No comments:

Post a Comment