Sunday, April 25, 2010

Leadership or Servanthood . . . What's More Important

Trying to answer the question of whether leadership or servanthood is more important is a little like trying to decide which sense is most important, your ability to hear or your ability to see.

This nearly impossible to answer question started swirling around in my head when I began to take notice of all the emails I was receiving inviting me to take part in this "leadership" conference or that "leadership" webinar; and that was not all . . . then there were all the books on leadership, and the podcasts dedicated to building more effective leadership skills, especially in those who are leaders within the church. It seemed as if leadership were the clarion call and that anyone not participating was more or less the class nerd. Worst of all a class nerd with absolutely no leadership skills to speak of!

All of a sudden it seemed that no matter where I turned or tuned, there was someone or some organization selling the benefits of their leadership deal - Each group would roll out their "star" line-up of leaders; groups of people who most of us have heard of and sort of feel like we know. All of this effort in an attempt to capture our attention and our commitment to attend.

After what seemed like months rolling into years of being beckoned into the realm of would be leaders, I began to wonder whatever happened to the value that we once placed on living the life of the servant.

Now that I've set the stage . . . I will do my best to provide a daily contribution to this question of leadership or servanthood - where do we go from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment